Shilajit, a world-renowned natural supplement, offers many benefits for men and women, encompassing skin as well as overall health, wellness, vigor, and longevity. Since ancient times, Shilajit has been used in Ayurvedic medicine as a potent, health-boosting herb, and that tradition has withstood the test of time.
Today, we’ll look at some potential shilajit benefits for skin and gain a deeper understanding of its many extraordinary properties for enhancing skin tone and texture, protecting the skin from damage, etc.
Skin Health Boosting Minerals In Shilajit
What makes shilajit such a skincare powerhouse is that it’s loaded with 85+ essential trace minerals, some of which are pivotal to maintaining overall skin health. Some of these are listed below, along with details depicting their possible benefits for your skin:
- Zinc: As an essential trace mineral, zinc can provide several benefits for the skin. Zinc may support sebum production, which can be helpful in the management of acne. Additionally, zinc promotes wound healing and controlling inflammation, thus contributing to skin health.
- Copper: Copper in shilajit may help in skin tightening and reducing wrinkles. It is also known to boost collagen production, which is good for overall skin health.
- Selenium: Shilajit also contains selenium, an antioxidant that not only prevents oxidative stress but also defends against free radicals that can damage the skin. This effect may also be beneficial in preventing premature aging.
- Manganese: As an element responsible for collagen production, manganese in shilajit can promote skin elasticity, making it more youthful and reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Fulvic acid: Shilajit is rich in fulvic acid, known to have potent anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that can counteract the effects of harmful skin diseases such as psoriasis and eczema. It can also help in skin cleansing and exfoliation, ridding the skin of dead cells.
- Iron: Shilajit also contains iron, and while some studies have demonstrated its promising results in managing iron deficiency anemia, it may also contribute to improved skin health. Adequate iron supplementation is paramount to healthy skin in several ways. It can impart a natural glow, promote wound healing, and enhance your skin’s complexion so you appear more radiant and beautiful. A lack of iron, on the other hand, can make your skin look pale and dull.
Shilajit Benefits For Skin
Following is a list of the potential benefits of shilajit for the skin:
1. Reduces wrinkles and fine lines
Anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants are also present in Shilajit, which helps to reduce signs of wrinkles and fine lines.
2. Rejuvenates the skin
Shilajit cleanses the skin and fights off dead cells, making you look more radiant and attractive. In one research study conducted on middle-aged women, it was found that shilajit supplementation improved skin perfusion at a dose of 250mg when compared to the placebo. Optimal skin perfusion signifies adequate blood circulation in the skin which is crucial to overall skin health.
3. Anti-aging effects
The effects of aging can make the skin appear droopy as fine lines and wrinkles start to develop. Shilajit may slow down the aging process, restoring the freshness and elasticity of the skin.
4. Protects the skin from free radicals
Fulvic acid in shilajit protects the skin from free radicals and cellular damage.
5. Hydrates the skin
Shilajit moisturizes and hydrates the skin from within. Hydration is paramount to skin health, as dehydration can make the skin appear dull, dry, and itchy.
6. Improves skin tone and texture
Shilajit consumption may also positively impact your skin tone and texture, making it brighter and clearer. However, further research is required to assess the effectiveness of shilajit in this domain.
7. Lessens skin irritation and inflammation
Shilajit is a natural and comprehensive blend of essential trace minerals, fulvic acid, and humic acid with fascinating anti-inflammatory properties. It can potentially lessen inflammation, skin irritation, swelling, and associated discomfort.
8. Promotes wound healing
Some believe that shilajit can also be a valuable resource to aid in wound healing. Its combination of nutrients can play a role in tissue regeneration, fostering the growth of new skin cells while healing cuts and wounds. Further research on the subject is needed to reach a definitive conclusion.
9. May boost collagen production
Shilajit contains traces of collagen-boosting minerals such as zinc, copper, and selenium. Due to this, shilajit consumption may aid collagen synthesis and regulation, which is beneficial for preventing wrinkles and saggy skin and maintaining a healthy skin texture. However, limited scientific research is available to analyze the exact effect of shilajit on collagen production.
10. May promote skin tightening
Shilajit can make your skin appear firmer and more youthful. It detoxifies the body and protects the skin from oxidative stress and damage caused by free radicals to preserve its elasticity and firmness.
How To Prepare A Shilajit Face Mask
To make a shilajit face mask:
- Combine a small amount of high-quality, pure shilajit resin (around 2 grams) with natural ingredients such as honey, aloe vera gel, yogurt, and your favorite essential oil.
- Stir the ingredients with a wooden spoon to make a thick paste.
- Clean your face thoroughly and dry it with a towel.
- Apply the mask evenly onto your face using clean hands or a brush. Avoid contact with your eyes.
- Leave it on for no more than 30 minutes.
- Gently wash your face with lukewarm water and dry it with a soft towel.
The shilajit face mask can be a great addition to your skincare routine and lead to softer and more beautiful skin. Just make sure to use natural ingredients and authentic shilajit while making the mask. Also, do not leave the mask on for too long, i.e., longer than 30 minutes.
It is recommended to first apply the mask mixture to a small area of your skin and check for signs of itchiness, redness, or irritation. This patch test can help avoid any potential adverse effects of applying the shilajit face mask on your face and can serve as a useful safety precaution.
To summarize, shilajit benefits for the skin cannot be ignored. It is a potent and rich source of trace minerals that can help you achieve softer, more radiant, and more beautiful skin and an enhanced skin tone and complexion.
That being said, further research is required to study the full extent of its effects on the skin, including both positive and negative. Overall, shilajit is considered a safe supplement when taken in moderation and can improve your health and wellness in many ways while also potentially serving as a fantastic addition to your skincare regimen.
Refer to a dermatologist or healthcare professional prior to using any supplements with the goal of achieving fairer, brighter, or more youthful skin. Your skin is a very sensitive and delicate part of your body and, as such, is susceptible to allergic reactions, such as itching, redness, or irritation. While there is no documented evidence of shilajit being unsafe to use on the skin, it is always better to be careful and exercise caution by consulting a doctor before opting for any new supplements or products for your skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some frequently asked questions regarding shilajit benefits for skin:
1. Does shilajit make your skin glow?
Shilajit is known to have powerful antioxidant properties that prevent oxidative stress and protect against damage caused by free radicals. It also contains iron, which the body needs for healthy blood circulation. An adequate supply of iron can also impart a natural glow. Therefore, the consumption or topical application of shilajit may lead to brighter, more radiant, and more naturally glowing skin.
2. What does shilajit do for face?
By keeping the face hydrated and moisturized, shilajit use may reduce acne and pimples. It may also have an anti-aging effect on the face to prevent wrinkles and fine lines. However, there is limited research available to support these effects.
3. Does shilajit clear skin?
Yes. Shilajit contains 85+ essential trace minerals like zinc, copper, and selenium that offer several benefits for the skin, including purgatory effects that purify and cleanse the skin from within. Shilajit may promote a clearer complexion and skin tone by ridding the skin of grease, oil, and dirt.
4. Can you put shilajit on your face?
Shilajit face masks are becoming common nowadays as a remedy for naturally glowing, smoother, and softer skin. Putting shilajit on your face is safe for most individuals however some people may be allergic to certain compounds in shilajit so caution is advised. It is recommended to do a patch test or consult a healthcare provider before using Shilajit on your face.
5. Does shilajit increase collagen?
Research suggests that Shilajit consumption may increase collagen synthesis. Collagen is a protein produced by the body that maintains healthy joints and skin elasticity.